OFFICE (317) 396–2562
Mr. Cunningham leads the firm’s Health Care Practice Group. He concentrates his practice in health-care dispute resolution including trial practice, regulatory advocacy, commercial litigation and arbitration. Mr. Cunningham has been admitted pro hac vice in fifteen states. He has tried and arbitrated numerous long-term care, medical malpractice, and commercial cases throughout the nation. Mr. Cunningham has extensive experience representing health care providers before governmental agencies including the Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services as well as state regulatory agencies in sixteen states. He has provided legal advice and oversight on claims management and claims handling processes for large, self-insured health care providers.
Mr. Cunningham currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana and serves as chair of its Committee on Diversity. He is the Immediate Past Chair of the Indiana State Bar Association Diversity Committee. Mr. Cunningham is a certified arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association and the American Health Lawyers Association.
Mr. Cunningham has made more than fifty national and regional presentations on health care-related topics and trial practice for many organizations, including the Defense Research Institute, the National Business Institute, the American Conference Institute, the Association for the Advancement of Wound Care; the Complex Cardiovascular Catheter Therapeutics Conference. Mr. Cunningham is co-author of the 2007 book, Inside The Minds: Healthcare Law Client Strategies, published by Aspatore Books.
B.A., political science
M.S., health services administration
- Captain, U.S. Air Force, Medical Service Corps, 1989 – 1994
- Lt. Col., Indiana Air National Guard, Medical Service Corps, 1994-2010
- Indiana Super Lawyers® 2018 – 2020
- Best Lawyers in America 2017 – 2021
- America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators 2018, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating Legal Ability & Ethical Standards 2019
- National Black Lawyers Top 100 2018, 2019
- Named “Distinguished Barrister”, 2019 by Indianapolis Business Journal as part of “Leadership in Law” Awards
Admitted to Bar
- 1996 Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Speaking and Publications
Our Diversity Roots, Keynote address presented at the 2020 Indy Diversity Job Fair presented by the Indianapolis Bar Association via Zoom®, August 2020, Indianapolis, Ind.
Florida Regulatory Update for Podiatrists, Presented to podiatry professionals for continuing education credit at the Complex Cardiac Catheter Therapeutics Conference, June 2019, Orlando, Fla.
Mock Oral Argument on Exclusion of Economic Experts, Presented to legal industry professionals for continuing education credit at the Defense Research Institute Trial Skills and Damages Seminar, March 2019, Las Vegas, Nev.
Surviving Changes to Pressure Ulcer Terminology, Presented to health care industry professionals for continuing education credit at the Great Lakes Vascular and Wound Care Symposium, November, 2018, Sandusky, Ohio
Legal Impact of Pressure Ulcer Terminology, Presented to health care industry professionals for continuing education credit at the AAWC Pressure Ulcer Summit, February 2018, Atlanta, Geo.
Litigation: How to Prevent and Survive, Presented to healthcare industry professionals for continuing education credit at the Symposium on Advanced Wound Care, April 2018, Charlotte, N.C.
The New Pressure Injury Staging System, Presented to health care industry professionals for continuing education credit at the Fall Meeting of the Long Island Wound Healing Association, November 2016, Long Island, N.Y.
The 'Under Pressure' Debate: Does Pressure Ulcer Staging Help Patients or Lawyers?, Presented to health care industry professionals for continuing education credit at the Symposium on Advanced Wound Care, October 2016, Las Vegas, Nev.
Calculating Damages in Medical Malpractice Cases, Catastrophic Injury & Life Planning Considerations and Using the ACA to Mitigate Future Damages, Presented to legal and industry professionals for continuing education credit at the American Conference Institute Annual Forum on Medical Liability, October 2016, New York, N.Y.
Practical Considerations for Health Care Risk Management in High School and College Sports, Presented to health care industry professionals for continuing education credit at the American Association of Orthopedic Executives Annual Conference, June 2016, San Francisco, Calif.
Conflicts Between Residents, Families and Staff, Presented to legal and industry professionals for continuing education credit at the American Conference Institute Annual Forum on Preventing and Defending Long Term Care Litigation, January 2016, Miami, Fla.
Varsity Do’s (and Don'ts): Risk Issues for Health Care in the High School Sports Arena, Presented to legal and industry professionals for continuing education credit at the American Association of Orthopedic Executives Annual Conference, April 2015, Chicago, Ill.
Emergency Plans and Crisis Situations, Presented to legal and industry professionals for continuing education credit at the American Conference Institute Annual Forum on Preventing and Defending Long Term Care Litigation, January 2015, Miami, Fla.
Civic Engagement / Volunteerism
- Coach, Lawrence Youth Basketball
- Indiana High School Mock Trial Competition
- U.S. Air Force, Retired Officers Association
- National Guard Association of the United States
- Norris Cunningham to Present Keynote at 2020 Diversity Job Fair
- There Is Time for the Three B's
- CMS and ISDH GUIDANCE FOR COVID-19 FOR LONG TERM CARE FACILITIES
- CMS Issues Updated Guidelines for Long Term Care Facilities in COVID-19 Crisis
- Nine Katz Korin Cunningham Attorneys Named to Indiana “Super Lawyers®”
- Law schools, firms watch coronavirus outbreak
- Norris Cunningham Guests as INsider on Inside Indiana Business this weekend
- Cunningham Elected to 2020 DTCI Board of Directors
- Norris Cunningham Guests on Inside Indiana Business This Weekend
- Cunningham and Essex Author Practice Note for Thompson Reuters
- Katz Korin Cunningham Attorneys Named to “2020 Best Lawyers in America”
- Many law firm merger calls, little interest
- Norris Cunningham Appears on Inside Indiana INsiders Panel
- Norris Cunningham selected as 2019 Distinguished Barrister
- Katz Korin Cunningham announces attorneys named 2019 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Court celebrates Indiana community in marking Black History Month
- Q&A with attorney Norris Cunningham
- Black lawyers who rose through ranks of larger firms see vast changes
- Transition to Grow Indianapolis Law Firm
- Katz & Korin is now Katz Korin Cunningham