Michael J. Kerschner
Mike feels privileged and honored to serve his clients and his community. He believes in providing all of his clients with personal and caring legal services, whether working with individuals on their estate plans or preparing loan documents for a bank. He believes the first step in representing clients is listening to and understanding their concerns. Mike is committed to telling his client's story and protecting their interests in a document without legalese.
Mike concentrates his practice in contracts, estate planning, guardianships, loan document preparation and review, probate administration, real estate matters, tax and business entity formation. Mike also works with and represents homeowners and homeowners’ associations regarding association governance, covenant enforcement, and other legal issues. Additionally, he advises other types of nonprofit entities in formation, organizational documents, and in applying for tax exemption.
He is driven by the Jewish principle of ‘Tikkun Olam’ — repairing the world. Mike believes that includes using his skills to give back and be active in his community which currently includes serving on the Carmel Clay School Board. He recently chaired the district’s superintendent search and is currently serving as board president.
Before attending law school and after studying accounting at the University of Illinois, Mike spent a year preparing individual income tax returns for a large national tax preparation company and a small public accounting firm. Mike credits his year off from studies with giving him a greater appreciation for and enjoyment of law school.
He has lectured on title law in Indiana, choice of entities, homeowners’ associations, and the low-income housing tax credit program.
U.S. News Best Lawyers in America: Real Estate Law, 2022
Admitted to Bar
- 1992 Illinois
- 1996 Indiana
Civic Engagement / Volunteerism
- Carmel Clay School Board:
- District 3 Representative, 2015 – Present
- President 2019 – 2020
- Carmel Clay Schools Redistricting Parent Advisory Council, Towne Meadow Elementary representative, 2010
- Central Indiana Community Association, Legislative Action Committee Member
- Indianapolis Bureau of Jewish Education, Inc., Board of Directors
- Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation, President (2006 – 2008), Vice President, Treasurer, chair, and member of numerous committees
- Indianapolis Tour de Shuls, committee member
- Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis (JFGI), Selected for Second Class of ATID Leadership Program
- American Cancer Society, team captain, Relay for Life team
Mike and his wife live in Carmel and have two children, one who recently graduated from Carmel High School and one still attending Carmel schools. A retired greyhound and a golden retriever round out their family. Mike cheers for the Butler Bulldogs, Chicago Bears, Cubs and White Sox, the Fighting Illini and the Indianapolis Colts. The Kerschners have been season ticket holders for Butler men's basketball for more than 20 years — Go Dawgs!
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
I Melt with You by Modern English
Running, biking, and skiing