Michael ‘Gabo’ Gabovitch
Michael J. Gabovitch is managing partner of the firm and chairs the firm’s business/real estate practice. He concentrates his practice in business transactions, real estate and government practice. His real estate experience spans the entire spectrum of representation — from individual home buyers and sellers to the nation’s largest retail real estate developer.
'Gabo' has more than 30-years of experience representing both buyers and sellers and both landlords and tenants in real estate development and leasing transactions. He also assists businesses of all sizes — from closely held startups to Fortune 500 companies — with all aspects of business operations, including business entity selection and formation, corporate reorganization, and drafting and negotiating third-party contracts, including distribution agreements, employment agreements, shareholder agreements, and purchase and sale agreements.
Michael has worked on both sides of governmental regulatory and contracting matters, representing clients appearing before state and local agencies and providing representation to governmental entities, including the Marion County Election Board, the City of Indianapolis Department of Metropolitan Development, River Ridge Development Authority and the Indiana Gaming Commission. Michael has extensive experience in urban redevelopment projects on behalf of governmental entities, including both commercial and residential redevelopment of blighted areas, from the initial offering of the property for public bid, through negotiations for developer commitments and governmental incentives to closing.
College of Arts and Sciences
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Distinguished Fellow of the Indianapolis Bar Foundation
- Recognized by his peers as an Indiana Super Lawyer® annually 2018 – present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating Legal Ability & Ethical Standards 2019 – 2020
- Editor, Indiana Law Review
- Forrest E. Jump Memorial Academic Scholar
Admitted to Bar
- 1986 Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Civic Engagement / Volunteerism
- KidsFirst International Adoption, Inc., Board Chairman
- Ozanam Free Legal Clinic of St. Vincent de Paul, Volunteer
- Reach for Youth Teen Court, Volunteer Judge
- Paramount Schools of Excellence, Student Mentor
- Co-Founder, Washington Township Schools Dad’s Club Mentoring Program
- Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis, Annual Campaign Volunteer
Following graduation from law school, Michael aspired to greater heights and also graduated from Clown School.
Outside of the practice of law, Gabo is passionate about helping youth who may be growing up without a strong father figure in their lives. For more than 20 years, he has worked with and in local schools to create and operate mentoring programs to fulfill this mission.
Married to Jennifer Foley Gabovitch, they have a blended family of seven children.
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” — Winston Churchill
Favorite Vacation Spot
Kiawah Island, South Carolina
Bicycling, reading, traveling, hanging with family
- Katz Korin Cunningham Ranked “Best Law Firms” For 2021
- Bucking the trend: Indiana law firms merging practices to meet client needs
- July 1 Marks Big Change for Real Estate Recording Requirements
- Nine Katz Korin Cunningham Attorneys Named to Indiana “Super Lawyers®”
- Many law firm merger calls, little interest
- Katz Korin Cunningham announces attorneys named 2019 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Transition to Grow Indianapolis Law Firm
- Katz & Korin is now Katz Korin Cunningham
- Applying for Tax Exempt Status - Why, What, and How
- When Choosing A Lawyer