Kathryn ‘Katie’ Cordell
Kathryn 'Katie' Cordell is a native Hoosier, born and raised in Indiana. Prior to entering law school, she was a research scientist, earning her master’s degree at Indiana University in Indianapolis. At IU, her research focus was preimplantation embryology. Following completion of her degree, she taught anatomy and physiology at Ivy Tech Community College in Indianapolis before attending law school at the University of Notre Dame.
Katie has always wanted to combine her love of science and law. She is a partner and a member of the firm’s Health Care Practice Group. She concentrates her practice in the defense of health care providers in civil and regulatory actions, including Medicaid, Medicare and professional licensing boards. In addition, Katie drafts many of the appellate briefs for the Health Care Practice Group. She is also an adjunct professor at the Robert McKinney School of Law at Indiana University Indianapolis, teaching medical malpractice and serving as an independent research adviser.
College of Arts and Sciences
College of Arts and Sciences
M.S., physiology and biophysics
- Katie has been practicing for more than 21 years in the area of health care defense.
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Adjunct Professor in Medical Malpractice, 2009 – present
Admitted to Bar
- 1997 Indiana
- 1997 U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- 1997 U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- 1997 U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Speaking and Publications
- Eliminating/Minimizing Liens in Personal Injury Settlements, National Business Institute, July, 2018.
- Medical Malpractice, From Start to Finish, National Business Institute, December, 2018.
Civic Engagement / Volunteerism
Katie is active in youth sports, assisting her son’s teams with the Greenwood Little League and CYO. She volunteers at a local food pantry with her son and has served on the Board of Directors of the Greenwood Little League.
Katie is a native Hoosier, born and raised on the Southside of Indianapolis. The third of four children, she inherited her father’s passion for science and research. She never forgot her interest in law, eventually marrying the two loves into a career in health-care defense. Along the way, she met her husband, John, and they are the proud parents of a son, who keeps her busy night and day!
Favorite Vacation Spot
Anywhere warm and with my family!
Taking you home, Don Henley
NCIS — science and law!
Teaching — I would love to teach elementary / middle school science
- COVID-19 UPDATE: EEOC Guidance on Vaccinations in the Workplace
- Katz Korin Cunningham Ranked “Best Law Firms” For 2021
- Hospital Liability for the Actions of Independent Contractors
- CMS and ISDH GUIDANCE FOR COVID-19 FOR LONG TERM CARE FACILITIES
- CMS Issues Updated Guidelines for Long Term Care Facilities in COVID-19 Crisis
- Kathryn Cordell and Christina Essex present Nursing Home Malpractice webinar