Justin McGiffen is an associate attorney with the business law and litigation practice group. Justin developed his work-ethic at a young age while raising corn, beans, wheat, and cattle on his family’s farm in southwest Indiana. He proceeded to study business at Valparaiso University, graduating summa cum laude with a double-major in accounting and finance. During law school at Indiana University's McKinney School of Law he was an associate editor of the Indiana Law Review and achieved Order of the Barristers in the school’s intramural moot court competition; he served on campus as a Justice on the Supreme Court of Student Governance and as a member of IUPUI’s Parking Appeals Committee. In addition to his coursework and roles on campus, he interned with the Indiana Securities Commission, externed for Judge Heather Welch, clerked for both a private law firm and the Indiana Attorney General’s Office, and provided legal assistance to the less fortunate as a fellow with Indiana Legal Services’ Consumer Advocacy Project.
After passing the bar, Justin obtained a judicial clerkship with the Indiana Commercial Court, where he spent four years honing his research and writing skills on complex commercial matters under the instruction of Judge Maria Granger of New Albany and Judge Richard D’Amour of Evansville. He then spent nearly a year during the COVID-19 pandemic refining his negotiation, deposition, and trial skills as a Deputy Prosecutor, before joining Katz Korin Cunningham in June of 2021.
Justin’s well-rounded, real-world, experience working for the courts, an administrative agency, private law firms, the State’s law firm, and a non-profit law firm, has garnered him with valuable insights into the inner-workings of Indiana’s legal institutions, and he utilizes those insights to help his clients effectively and efficiently achieve their goals.
B.S.B.A. — accounting and finance double major
- Indiana Commercial Court, Judicial Clerkship, August 2016 – July 2020
- Deputy Prosecutor, July 2020 – May 2021
Law School Experience:
- Indiana Secretary of State, Legal Intern – Securities Division, May 2014 – August 2014
- Hon. Heather Welch, Judicial Extern, August 2014 – December 2014
- Grant & Grant, Law Clerk, Insurance Subrogation, January 2015 – April 2015
- Indiana Attorney General’s Office, Law Clerk, Civil Litigation Division, May 2015 – August 2015
- Indiana Legal Services, Legal Fellowship, Consumer Advocacy Project, August 2015 – May 2016
Admitted to Bar
- 2016 Indiana
Civic Engagement / Volunteerism
- Teen Court, Attorney Mentor 2016 – 2019
- IUPUI Parking Appeals Committee 2014 – 2016
- Delta Sigma Pi, Member 2011 – 2013