John P. Higgins
John Higgins, a shareholder with Katz Korin Cunningham, represents clients in all aspects of litigation with a focus on business disputes and construction related litigation as well as professional liability.
John has extensive experience representing contractors in construction related litigation. John has successfully litigated construction disagreements ranging from disputes with homeowners to multi-million-dollar lawsuits up and down the owner, contractor, sub-contractor, and surety chain. John provides comprehensive legal services to numerous local, statewide, and regional home improvement service providers including builders, roofing contractors, interior remodelers, damage restoration companies, and bathroom remodelers. John often guides his clients through legal compliance issues arising under state construction and consumer protection laws and frequently defends contractors alleged to have violated them.
John also regularly advises his clients on the often-perilous relationship between contractors and their customer’s property insurance company to maximize insurance recoveries available to pay for the contractor’s services without running afoul of the prohibition against public adjusting. John also works to streamline the collection process for his clients by formalizing processes at the outset to eliminate common customer defenses in order to maximize potential recovery through the mechanics lien and collection process.
John is a regular presenter at continuing legal education seminars on attorney ethics. He is a member of the Indiana State Bar Association Legal Ethics Committee and the Indiana Board of Law Examiner's Committee on Character and Fitness.
John earned his B.A. magna cum laude from Wabash College prior to receiving his J.D. magna cum laude from the Robert H. McKinney School of Law at Indiana University Indianapolis. He is licensed in the State of Indiana, with court admissions in the U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Outside of the practice of law, he’s an entrepreneur and founded a sports equipment design and manufacturing company. John invented a number of products and has numerous patents ranging from electronic control mechanisms to wireless communication technologies.
B.A., economics, minor in English
Prior to joining Katz Korin Cunningham, John represented the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission where his practice was focused on trust account mismanagement and financial related misconduct. He was responsible for screenings, audits, prosecutions, and appeals of trust account matters before the Indiana Supreme Court. In addition, he regularly handled the investigation, prosecution and appeal of misconduct cases arising from bankruptcy, probate, receivership and other business-related matters. John’s practice has resulted in dozens of reported cases, including a number of per curiam opinions from the Indiana Supreme Court.
- Indiana Lawyer Leadership in Law – "Up and Coming", 2020
- Graduate, National Institute of Trial Advocacy’s Advanced Trial Advocacy Program
- Editor, Indiana Law Review
- Recipient of Bingham Award
- Recipient of American Bankruptcy Institute’s Medal of Excellence
- Indiana Super Lawyers® Rising Stars 2018 – 2020
Admitted to Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association Legal Ethics Committee
- Indiana State Bar Association Attorney Fee Dispute Committee
- Board of Law Examiners Committee on Character and Fitness
Speaking and Publications
- Applied Professionalism Seminar — October 2018, October 2019
- Indiana Employment Law — August 2018
- Trust Accounts and Trust Violations — March 2018
- Advanced Issues in Real Estate — December 2017, December 2018, December 2019
- Applied Professionalism Seminar — December 2017
- Update in New Trust Account Rules — November 2017
- Practicing Law in Indiana: Ethics/Stay Up-to-Date with Current Rules — October 2017
- ISBA Annual Meeting — September 2017
- Application of Technology to the Practice of Law; Past, Present and Future — May 2017
- New Trust Accounts Made Easy — March 2017
- Update in New Trust Account Rules — February 2017
- Advanced Issues in Real Estate Law — December 2016
- Practicing Law in Indiana; Ethics — November 2016
- NIPA’s Spring Seminar — April 2016
- Twelve Katz Korin Cunningham Attorneys Named to Indiana “Super Lawyers®”
- Katz Korin Cunningham Ranked “Best Law Firms” For 2021
- KKC Attorney John Higgins Recognized in Leadership in Law
- Nine Katz Korin Cunningham Attorneys Named to Indiana “Super Lawyers®”
- Attorneys Bitner and Higgins Elected Shareholders
- Katz Korin Cunningham announces attorneys named 2019 Indiana Super Lawyers and Rising Stars