Jeffrey A. Hearn
Jeffrey A. Hearn is Of Counsel to Katz Korin Cunningham where he concentrates his practice on real estate transactions and business law.
Jeff’s real estate clients have varied from one of the country’s largest shopping center developers to individuals entering into their first commercial lease. He has represented developers in the acquisition, development, construction, financing, leasing and disposition of real estate projects and the formation of joint ventures. Jeff regularly represents both landlords and tenants on all aspects of commercial real estate leasing. He has assisted business owners with a wide variety of legal needs including organization of corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and other legal entities, preparation of corporate documents, preparation, review and negotiation of contracts, mergers, acquisitions and sales, assisting with governmental compliance and advising on general business issues. He particularly enjoys serving as outside general counsel to clients, because it allows proactive collaboration with senior management to help set strategic direction and structure transactions to avoid potential problems.
Jeff received his J.D. degree with honors from Drake University Law School, where he was a member of Order of the Coif and an editor of the Drake Law Review. After clerking for a judge on the Indiana Court of Appeals and practicing with law firms for approximately fifteen years, a real estate development and brokerage client encouraged him to start his own firm so he could devote more of his time to that client’s business. He did so and ran his own firm for twenty years prior to joining Katz Korin Cunningham.
B.S., political science
School of Law
J.D. with honors
Law Clerk to the Honorable James B. Young, Indiana Court of Appeals
- Order of the Coif
- Drake Law Review editor
- Prentice-Hall Tax Award
- American Jurisprudence Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating Legal Ability & Ethical Standards 2019 – present
- U.S. News Best Lawyers in America: Real Estate Law 2020 – present
- Scribe Award for Writing Excellence
Admitted to Bar
- 1981 Indiana
- 1981 U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- 1984 U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- 1985 U.S. Tax Court
- Obtaining Discovery from Absent Class Members in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 23 (b) (3) Class Actions, 30 Drake Law Review 347
- Various articles on real estate and business topics for Indianapolis Business Journal
Civic Engagement / Volunteerism
Jeff has a substantial commitment to community service.
- Long-time member of the Board of Trustees of Sycamore School in Indianapolis, where he has served in a number of capacities, including Treasurer and Chair of the Finance Committee on three separate occasions and as President of the Board for four years. During his tenure as Board President, he chaired committees that selected the school’s top administrator and prepared the school’s strategic plan, as well as leading initiatives to improve the school’s governance.
- Has served in various roles at his church
- Treasurer of the North Central High School Counterpoints
- pro bono counsel for a nonprofit providing transitional housing
- Coached numerous youth baseball, softball and soccer teams.
Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov
“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” — Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
Astrophysicist (or third base coach for the St. Louis Cardinals)
- Seven Katz Korin Cunningham Business / Real Estate Attorneys Named to “2022 U.S. News Best Lawyers® in America”
- Nineteen Katz Korin Cunningham Attorneys Named to “2022 U.S. News Best Lawyers® in America”
- Katz Korin Cunningham Ranked “Best Law Firms” For 2021
- Law change from ‘or’ to ‘and’ causes headaches for recorders
- July 1 Marks Big Change for Real Estate Recording Requirements
- Katz Korin Cunningham Attorneys Named to “2020 Best Lawyers in America”