Donald J. Smith
Don is a shareholder at Katz Korin Cunningham working from our Broad Ripple and Downtown offices. He represents his real estate clients — local and national — in all aspects of real estate development, handling projects from “dirt to disposition.” He has also represented both tenants and landlords in commercial leasing transactions and litigation. Additionally, Don represents lenders on construction and permanent real estate financing as well as commercial lending.
Don acts as outside general counsel for many of his small business clients, advising them on all legal aspects of their businesses, including succession and estate planning.
Don is a graduate of North Central High School and Indiana University. He returned to Indianapolis after graduating cum laude from the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law at Cleveland State University in 2003 where he was an Executive Editor of the Cleveland State Law Review.
College of Arts and Sciences
B.A., history & political science (double major)
Cleveland State Law Review, Associate, 2001 – 2002, Executive Editor 2002 – 2003
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating Legal Ability & Ethical Standards 2019 – 2020
- Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2014
- U.S. News Best Lawyers in America: Real Estate Law 2022
Admitted to Bar
- 2003 Indiana
- 2003 U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- 2003 U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Civic Engagement / Volunteerism
Indianapolis Symphonic Choir, Board of Directors: 2011 – 2020
- Seven Katz Korin Cunningham Business / Real Estate Attorneys Named to “2022 U.S. News Best Lawyers® in America”
- Nineteen Katz Korin Cunningham Attorneys Named to “2022 U.S. News Best Lawyers® in America”
- Katz Korin Cunningham Ranked “Best Law Firms” For 2021
- July 1 Marks Big Change for Real Estate Recording Requirements